Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Before I head off on my two week trip to Vietnam, courtesy of the VFW, wanted to just make a few introductory comments. The trip will be from April 5-18. We depart for Hanoi, through Hong Kong, from LA at 11:55 PM on April 5. We will be staying in Hanoi for three days, then fly to Hue for another 3 days. Next, we go via bus, through the Hai Van Pass to spend 3 days in Da Nang. The old China Beach R&R Center is now the site of a luxury beachfront Hotel where we will be staying. After our stay there, it will be on for a final 3 days in Saigon. We will return to the USA, again through Hong Kong, arriving in LA on April 18. I expect to see a drastically different Country than the one I left in April of 1969. I am told by other Vietnam Veterans that have visited, that Americans are warmly welcomed there. This does surprise me, but is probably related to the fact that 80% of the current population wasn't alive when American involvement ended there in 1975. We will be going on many day trips and tours at each location. I will not be near any of the mountainous jungle areas where I spent most of my time in combat situations. Either in the northern part of the Country, or in the area northwest of Saigon. We will be visiting Quang Tri and the Quan Loi area in the south. These were rear base areas for the units of the 1st Cavalry Division that I served in.

I have been asked by some why I would ever want to go back to a place that has so many bad memories. I see it as my responsibility to go as a representative of all those I had the honor of serving with and the fellow Soldiers who never got the chance to come home. I am proud of my service to my Country while I served in Vietnam and do not anticipate any personal difficulties in returning there, nearly 50 years after I left. Will be attempting to make daily entries to this Blog and will attempt to insert some pictures. I owe a debt of gratitude to Rachel Costello, the Librarian at Pentucket Regional HS for the help she has given me in setting up the Blog. I hope those who have an opportunity to read it will find it a positive experience.

6 comments:

  1. Steve, I've always loved hearing your stories. I'm thinking you'll have new ones when you get back. Have a safe trip. Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Bird, this trip is such an amazing idea and who better to serve as ambassador than you? You’ve always been an example of how one should strive to live their life and I wish you only the best experience(s) while on your trip and can’t wait to read the blog updates...Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will follow you have a good trip.
    Miles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful “adventure”, enjoy the food, the people and, through experience in my two visits, keep your wallet and passport safe.
    Fred Fish
    P.S. my wife is from Saigon but originally from Ben Tre in the Delta.

    ReplyDelete